Light Mode
Dark Mode
System Mode
Supreme Court refuses Trump rehearing; E. Jean Carroll’s verdict upheld, leaving the defamation judgment intact and final.
The US Supreme Court on Monday again declined to hear President Donald Trump’s request to overturn a federal civil jury verdict that found him liable for sexually abusing and defaming writer E. Jean Carroll, leaving the jury’s unanimous decision final.
The court posted the order without explanation after previously rejecting a similar petition in June. Trump has denied wrongdoing and contested the trial judge’s handling of evidence; in July he paid Carroll more than $5m in damages related to her claim that he sexually assaulted her in the mid-1990s.
Carroll, now 82 and a former magazine columnist, sued over an alleged assault in a Manhattan department store dressing room and for defamation tied to a 2022 Truth Social post in which Trump denied the claim and said Carroll was “not my type.” Her attorney Roberta Kaplan said the Supreme Court’s decision makes the verdict final and not subject to further challenge in court.
The Supreme Court’s refusal to rehear the case preserves the civil jury’s unanimous finding of sexual assault and defamation against Trump and upholds the post-trial damages payment to Carroll. Legal observers described the rehearing request as an unlikely long shot given the court’s earlier June denial.
Trump has publicly framed the litigation as politically motivated in social media posts, reiterating his intention to continue contesting the wider implications of the case after the earlier Supreme Court action.