Light Mode
Dark Mode
System Mode
Settlers confine two Palestinian families in Qusra amid Israeli forces’ attempted removal, raising urgent humanitarian and legal concerns.
Two Palestinian families from the Abu Ridi and Hassan households in Qusra, south of Nablus, have been confined to their homes since Sunday after Israeli settlers blocked access and cut off their water and power, local sources and footage show.
Videos from the site depict settlers surrounding the homes and Israeli security vehicles, including a bulldozer, on roads leading to the village, which remained a closed military zone. Initial attempts by Israeli forces to remove the settlers on Wednesday led to clashes involving soldiers, border police and a larger group of settlers, with security forces deploying tear gas and stun grenades.
The Israeli military said additional troops would be sent to the occupied West Bank following the failed operation to dislodge the settlers. Local reports indicated that a nearby settler outpost was demolished during the developments.
Qusay Abu Ridi, who has remained in his home since Sunday, reported renewed attacks overnight and said water and electricity had been cut. His brother, the property owner, is a Palestinian-American who contacted the US embassy. The US ambassador to Israel said the embassy asked Israeli authorities to remove the settlers, describing their actions as “Israeli terrorists.”
The Israeli military said soldiers who prayed with settlers during an earlier visit would face discipline. Footage from Palestinian security cameras shows confrontations between Israeli forces and settlers, and images indicate military personnel removed a canopy sheltering some settlers while leaving other equipment in place.
The incident highlights repeated targeting of Qusra reported by the village mayor, including arson at a recently completed mosque and Hebrew graffiti nearby. Past episodes of settlers surrounding Palestinian homes and eventual takeover of properties were cited in local accounts. UN figures included in the source material record displacement and fatalities in the West Bank this year attributed to clashes involving settlers and Israeli forces.